Wednesday, January 16, 2008

We're irish, we're genetically morbid.


I know there are two different types of people in this world: those who believe in signs and those who don't. Its similar to those who favor the theory of coincidence and those who favor the theory of fate. There are times I am not sure which side of this debate my beliefs land on. Or, I was unsure, until I lost my Grandma last year to cancer. I should start by saying that my Grandma was one of those women who had an absolutely unshakable faith in God and the general goodness of mankind. She was an extraordinary woman, strong in her love for family and life, adventure and humor. She was exactly the kind of woman I aspire to be like everyday, and know I will be lucky to become 1/4 of the woman she was. I miss her like you would'nt believe.
What this has to do with signs and fate is that I swear she finds ways of talking to me still. She talks to all of her loved ones, I think, daily. She never appears as an aparition, there are no hauntings, no paranormal activities. She simply says hello. On my worst days, I always see a rainbow when I'm driving. Then, usually seconds after I see it...one of our favorite songs will come on the radio. I have XM Satellite and usually listen to the station that plays 1940's music...her favorite. Perhaps I am just looking for a way to communicate with her. Maybe I always listen to the 40's station because it reminds me of her....maybe I see rainbows because I always feel down when it rains. But I feel her, I guess...is the important part. And whether coincidence, or fate..sign or not....I feel better.
The picture I posted is from this past fall, up at my Great Uncle's farmhouse in Upstate New York. It is called by those lucky enough to have been there, simply, "The Farm". It was my Grandma's favorite place. My Aunts and Cousins and my Mom had been talking about her for hours it seemed on that day. It was our first time back to "The Farm" since my Grandma had passed. We all had tears in our eyes from laughing about the wonderful time we had with her when she was with us....and then we looked out the window and saw this absolutely crystal clear rainbow over the fields behind the nearly 300 year old farmhouse. I guess she just wanted to let us know she was still with us.
Death is something that is inevitable and the Irish are notoriously fanscinated by it. I suppose living in a country shrouded in fog and rain most of the time will do that to a culture of people. My Grandma, who was 100% Irish and proud of it...never EVER let death get her down. And she had to bury a son, a daughter, and a husband in her lifetime. I spent most of last year destroyed and depressed over losing her, and it was only recently that I realized she would be so mad at me if she could see me. And maybe she does, and she sends those signs to tell me to lighten up.
We lost her last January, and now..a year later...things are starting to feel..well, lighter.

No comments: